Members: Patricia Dillon, Marta Nattkemper, Alejandra Quaglia
Category: Digital Curriculum
The class was finally created and a due date was set. As a pilot programme, four students were sent a link to enroll, create a user and complete the lesson in the Smart Sparrow platform.
It was now time to analyze the results and get an insight on students’ performance.
The platform provides teachers with several components in the lesson analytics.
a) The overview page shows the students’ progress and results at a glance. Here we can observe:
- the average grade of all students, whether they have completed the lesson or not
- the percentage of students that have reached the finished screen of the lesson
- the adaptive feedback in use, i.e. the percentage of trap states (conditions and actions) seen by each student
- the number of students that have made an attempt in one exercise in the last hour
b) The Question explorer shows an overview of each exercise with the average grade, median time spent, average number of attempts, and number of students that attempted each exercise.
Teachers can hover over each row to see a detailed description behind the bars.
c) The Solution Trace Graph shows all the students’ attempts for each exercise and indicates the flow in the student’s performance together with the adaptivity factors.
The next example shows that, in this case, two students get the correct trap state for exercise 8 and they move on to exercise 10. On the other hand, one student answers incorrectly, passes on to the remedial exercise and if he gets it correct, moves on to exercise 10.
d) Students’ Results
The charts below show the final score achieved in the lesson according to the amount of exercises completed, including remedial ones.
As it is an adaptive platform, final grades vary according to the amount of exercises completed.
Detailed Exercise Analytics:
Analysing each exercise is a valuable tool for teachers to spot common difficulties and plan strategies to reinforce those concepts which students still do not master.
The charts above show an example of the results obtained for an exercise in the Simple Past versus the Past Continuous. It indicates that:
- 3 out of 4 students got an average grade of 33%.
- 2 out of 4 students got a 50% grade in the remedial
Using this information we were able to detect difficulty in this area, showing that most of the students do not master the difference between these tenses yet.
As a result of this analysis, teachers can take different actions such as:
- Include more exercises in the platform in this category
- Intervene with mini lessons
- Re-test to compare results
Now that we have finally explored the Smart Sparrow platform and our students have tried it, these are our conclusions:
- Although we encountered difficulties, we were able to achieve our main objective which was to create an adaptive lesson for our students.
- Creating a learning pathway was completely new to us and allowed us to see what we teach from a different perspective. We consider that every teacher should undergo this experience to get a global view of a specific topic.
- The platform can be used in a variety of curriculum areas, adapted to any age group or level.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, just a small piece in a jigsaw with endless possibilities. We can analyse an entire class’s performance as well as pinpoint problem areas for each student. Data empowers us, teachers, with insights on how we can improve our practices and students’ outcomes.
This is the link and the log in information to try it out. Hope you enjoy it!
Email address: email@example.com