This project is carried out by Y5 teachers Andrea Jamieson, Daniela Rondon and Alejandra Quaglia as a mentor.
Our Y5 Nutrition Project based on healthy eating tries to teach what the French writer, Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613-1680) transmitted in his quote “To eat is a necessity but to eat intelligently is an art”.
Our focus is on increasing students’ knowledge about what is meant by good nutrition, with emphasis on influencing students’ motivation, attitudes, and improving eating behaviours.
Students will learn about how to develop a healthy eating lifestyle for themselves, their family, and the school commun
ity. Students will think critically about what it means to eat healthily and what their families do to eat in a healthy way.
The main stages of the project are:
- Recording what students eat for a week, so as to become aware of their
eating habits and choices before the investigation begins.
- Researching on an assigned nutrient in groups and writing a collaborative report.
- Designing, creating and planning a multimedia presentation using different apps.
- Delivering the presentation to their classmates.
- Building a food pyramid using the jigsaw classroom research-based cooperative learning technique to identify the six main food groups.
- Analysing and drawing conclusions on their personal menu
- Creating a collaborative Healthy Eating Menu.
- Designing, building and creating their own Trivia game on nutrients using Scratch as a programming environment.
- Carrying out a campaign to promote and advertise healthy snacks in our school community.
- Encouraging and guiding the community to arouse conscience in good nutrition.
- Reflecting critically on their learning process.
We believe this project supports the development of these 21st Century Learning skills:
- Interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Communication and informational skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Creative thinking skills
- Self directed skills
- Programming skills
- Media Literacy Skills